Here’s a look at Ohio State contingent in the first round of the 2016 NFL draft:
Joey Bosa, third pick of first round by the San Diego Chargers
- Bosa is the 16th defensive end selected from Ohio State in the common draft era (since 1967)
- Last: John Simon in the fourth round by the Ravens in 2013
- First: Eric Kumerow (Bosa’s uncle) in the first round (16th overall) by the Dolphins in 1988
- He is the sixth DE from Ohio State taken in the first round and first since Cameron Heyward went 31st to the Steelers in 2011 Others: Kumerow, Vernon Gholston (sixth, to the Jets in 2008), Will Smith (18th, to the Saints in 2004) and Alonzo Spellman (22nd, to the Bears in 1992).
Bosa is the ninth Buckeye picked by the Chargers
- Last: Offensive lineman Shane Olivea in the seventh round in 2004
- First: Linebacker Keith Ferguson in the fifth round in 1981
Bosa is the first Urban Meyer Ohio State signee to be drafted.